Black Cod, also known as Sable Fish or Butter Fish, and there are so many things to love about it. It lives up to it's name because of it's luxurious, silky, buttery texture. Due to it's high fat content, sable fish is easy to cook and hard to mess up. Black Cod / Sable fish is also high in protein, omega-3 fatty acids (the good fat!), and extremely nutrient-dense. You should be eating 2-3 servings of wild-caught fish per week for optimal health, so why not treat yourself to some decadent Wild Sable Fish? Our best seller is our 5lb case of frozen Wild Sable Fish steaks or the whole frozen fish for a great price.
This recipe is based off the famous Nobu's Miso Black Cod. It is so simple to make, and will make an impressive presentation for your dinner guests. The miso-marinade combined with the buttery texture of the black cod is an experience in itself. For this recipe, it is recommended that you marinate your sable fish up at least 2-3 days to maximize the flavours.
When buying Black Cod / Sable Fish, make sure you are buying your seafood from a trusted source to ensure you are getting the highest quality Black Cod that is wild-caught, sustainable, with zero antibiotics and hormones.
Ingredients for Miso Black Cod:
- 2tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 1/2 cup white miso paste
- 1/3 cup sugar
- six 6- to 7-ounce skinless black cod fillets, about 1 1/2 inches thick
- avocado Oil (for grilling)
1. Rinse your Sable Fish / Black Cod. Sprinkle salt over it and set it aside for 30min to draw out the moisture.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the mirin and sake to a boil. Whisk in the miso until dissolved. Add the sugar and cook over moderate heat, whisking, just until dissolved. Transfer the marinade to a large baking dish and let cool. Add the fish and turn to coat.
3. Cover and refrigerate. Marinate for at least 2-3 days for best results (but your Miso Black Cod will still be delicious if only marinated for a day).
4. Preheat the oven to 400°. Heat a grill pan and oil it. Lightly wipe off some of the excess marinade off the Sable Fish so it doesn't burn. Add the fish and cook over high heat until browned, about 2 minutes. Flip the fish onto a heavy rimmed baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes, until flaky. Transfer to plates and serve with sides of your choice.
- you can make the marinade up to a week in advance
- in Japan, some marinade the Sable Fish for up to 5-6 days
- you can make Miso Black Cod in the air-fryer (350°f for 15 minutes, flipping half way)